Meg, fall cleaning is one of my least favorite things to do. How can I get it done quickly so I can move on to spending more time
with my family?
Fall is here! The leaves are starting to change color, the day is starting to shorten and everything is pumpkin flavored. Fall is such a happy time of year until fall cleaning comes to mind. Ain’t nobody got time for that!! I hear you loud and clear.
So, here are my top 5 tips to get it done and enjoy a job well done!
- Make a list. Go through each room and write down what needs to be done. It may seem obvious but just like taking a list to the grocery store it keeps you focused and on task. Remember your outside needs a fall cleaning too. Write a list of must do’s for the outside like power washing the house and putting away the lawn furniture.
- Don’t get bogged down with too many cleaners. Use cheap but effective cleaning solutions like dish soap and warm water in a bucket. Feel free to add some Pine-Sol to the water for that just cleaned smell. Use washable rags to get the job done fast. No point in wasting time and money when a few products can do the work of many.
- Don’t forget to switch out your summer clothes for your winter clothes. I use bed raisers found at any local hardware store and clear bins that slip right under the bed to see what I pack away. It will save you plenty of time planning your winter wardrobe if the summer clothes are out of sight.
- Set a timer and use check boxes. Nothing moves a project along faster than a timer to keep you moving and the satisfaction that comes from checking a job off the list.
- Dust and vacuum the right way. I use a real wool duster. It does the work for you in half the time and with no heavy scrubbing needed. If you’re not sure where to get one, try an online store like Amazon. I did a quick search and found one for thirteen dollars. I also swear by my vac pack vacuum. It goes on my shoulders like a book-bag without weighing me down and has the right attachment for every task.
Now, go enjoy an apple cider donut. You earned it!